Monday, October 02, 2006

Welcome to Ottawa, pop: 785,001

Can you hear the clinking of glasses? Ottawa and I are celebrating our one-month anniversary tonight, which is shorter than a few of my relationships, but longer than a few others. Yet this night seems a fitting occasion to float my blog out into the ether like a helium-filled balloon in hopes it will have a nice life and perhaps one day bring me a book deal. That would be nice, though I won't quit my day-job just yet. Especially considering that for a first paragraph, this one might disappoint just slightly.

Speaking of day jobs, that's what brought me from Northern B.C. to Ottawa in the first place, to work on Parliament Hill. It's a good life, and no matter how many times it happens, I don't think I'll ever tire of riding the elevator with Stockwell Day. How many people get to do that in a day?

As part of the move across the country, I thought it was time to launch a blog. I was so out of it when people were making 'zines that I completely missed that whole moment in the counter-culture. I even tried to make a 'zine a couple of summers ago, but I never had the work ethic to finish it. A pair of friends have seen it in draft form, but that's where it remains three years later.

Instead of raising it from the dead, I thought I'd start fresh. And though I'm sure some people prepare manifestos for the opening day of their blogs - manifestos that get to heart of why they're doing this in the first place- I cannot be so clear-headed and visionary.

What I will say is this: I plan to write about things I experience in the city as I come to know it. Having made a major change in my life (i.e - country to the city), people often ask if I love it here. I don't love it yet, not even close, but my heart is open. I'm willing to love it, and frankly, I can't think of a better start than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home