Monday, October 02, 2006

The First Month

For future reference, the best way to get to know a new city is not by leaving it every weekend. Yet that is the fate that has befallen me this first month. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the travel but Ottawa and I are still no closer acquainted. Alas, for you, some highlights:

Ceylonta, 403 Somerset West
If you haven't been, go. If you have been, then I'm sure you'll understand my enthusiasm. The food is fantastic - I recommend a Thali (esp. the mutton thali). Wash it down with a glass of Kingfisher beer, and you'll feel like you're in heaven. Or Sri Lanka, the northern part of which is where the inspiration and origin of the food come from. The service is kind and welcoming and, if you ask, they will tell you a bit about Sri Lanka, which was a fascinating addition to already delish dinner.

The Hidden Cameras @ Barrymore's, Sept 13
Having waited for years to see them live, imagine my disappointment in the days leading up to the show when I read in the (X)Press that the band had made a concerted effort to tone down their live show. What? No go-go dancers? No audience members busting on-stage with the band to take up tambourine duty? The show was good, but I definitely felt that because the Cameras were introducing us to their new material from Awoo (it was, afterall, a CD release party), there was not as much excitement on the dance floor as there could have been. And the Cameras felt it, too, I think. Still, the "Music is my Boyfriend/I Want Another Enema" encore won over even the most solemn of faces in the crowd.

Galerie La Petite Mort, 306 Cumberland
I went last Thursday to check out the show in the portrait gallery by twin brothers, Stefan and Jason St-Laurent. It was a small show, but the combination of video performances and face portraits made up of tiny black ants were worth the tromp in the rain. I did wonder if a certain substance in the video "Facial" was authentic, and if so, how many volunteers were required on the shoot (if you saw the show, then I imagine you are rolling your eyes right now as that was a pun of unforgivable terribleness). There were other pieces throughout the gallery as well; I particularly enjoyed a large,slightly out-of-focus photograph of a highway overpass.

Stay tuned for further adventures...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home