Saturday, March 08, 2008

A very musical neighbourhood

Alanis Morissette has been in the news recently, what with an upcoming album and an opening slot on tour with Matchbox 20. Yes, you heard me correctly when I said Matchbox 20, they of the dispirited, derivative rock music popularized by suburban commercial radio and sold in spades at Best Buy and Wal-Mart. This is, of course, the same Matchbox 20 whose frontman, Rob Thomas, has oft been rumoured to be Tom Cruise's co-pilot.

I digress. Returning then to Alanis, who has never been accused of being Cruise's co-pilot. She is, however, from Ottawa and the city definitely claims her as its own. A story in this morning's Ottawa Citizen reminds us that she spent her awkward teen years at Glebe Collegiate, but I can't imagine how much time she actually spent in class considering she landed a record deal at 14.

In the interview, Alanis also gives a good quote here and there. My favourite: "I've always compared human beings to flowers, like people who are relatively low maintenance but beautiful are like roses. You just throw water on it, stick it in the sun and it's fine." She goes on to say she thinks of herself as an orchid.

Speaking of blossoming, Glebe-raised musical talents, I caught Ottawa blues sensation Steve Marriner's set at the Rainbow last night. Blues music has an ethic and a feel all its own, one that I've had little formal (or informal) experience with. Yet every time I hear fine blues music, I make a note to myself that it's time for a little immersion. Muddy Waters, here I come.

At only 23, Marriner (who also attended Glebe Collegiate) is apparently one of the nation's best harmonica players, not to mention a pretty entertaining vocalist. He's appeared on stages around the world (including once alongside Bruce Springsteen) and is heading west on tour later this spring.

It's a good thing Marriner's show was last night. The snow has already begun to fly in what is expected to be the worst winter storm of the season. If you haven't heard from me again by dinner tomorrow, please send a search party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home