Monday, January 01, 2007

I resolve...

I don't know about you, but I'm just happy that I got home last night through the freezing rain without breaking a hip or being accosted by some punk who thought I was trying to steal his cab. New Year's Eve can sometimes bring out the worst in people, so I took it as a good sign that 2007 began without any scrapes or bruises.

To mark the occasion, I joined some friends for a fancy-pants, four-course meal at the Oz Kafe (361 Elgin). Oz was doing two dinner seatings, so we opted for the 9 pm slot and stayed until after midnight.

Now, if you're a loyal Ottawa XPress reader, please don't let their restaurant review from a few years back fool you: Oz is a fantastic resto with first-class service and yummy food. I had lamb skewers for an appetizer, followed by a champagne sorbet shot, grilled tuna with mashed yams and veggies, and some divine chocolate concoction for dessert. All very good. I haven't had tuna as good as they make it at Oz. Ever.

I will admit we waited awhile for the food (close to two hours for the main course) and it was a somewhat pricey affair ($50 per person), but thankfully the conversation (not to mention the delicious appetizers at the pre-party) helped stave off the onset of hunger.

Oz also had a jazz band playing for the first part of the night, followed by a marathon mixing set by Ottawa's own dj CPI, who was apparently booked to spin until 6 am. Things were definitely going strong when we left just after 1 am, so who knows?

Which brings us to today. And my New Year's Resolutions for life in Ottawa. Herewith, in a vaguely particular order:
  • Find more free stuff to do. What with Christmas and all those meals out, I'm close to being a broken man, financially-speaking. It's time for me to uncover the free stuff. Thankfully, Winterlude is around the corner. Stars and K'Naan are both booked to play shows.
  • Hang out in Westboro, New Edinburgh and Little Italy. I have been to all of these neighbourhoods, but never for a sustained period of time. I feel like I use Westboro for its Mountain Equipment Co-Op, but nothing else. And I'm convinced there must be more to it. Same goes for New Edinburgh and Little Italy.
  • Get a job at Compact Music on Bank Street. I know, I already have a full-time job, but I've never got working in a record store out of my system since I worked at one in high school. And the folks at the Glebe location are always so peppy. I'm not used to record store folks who are so amicable.
  • Land a volunteer gig I can sink my teeth into. Ottawa has lots happening, partly because folks get involved. I'm an organizer, it's just in my blood.
  • Attend a Sens game. Laugh if you will, but it's important to see how the other side live. I don't know a thing about hockey or the Sens, but a lot of people in this town get really excited about them, so I want to know what it's all about. I'm just sad I have to go to Scotiabank Place because it's ugly.
  • Blog more. Well, if I'm going to be out doing all this fun stuff, I have to write about it, right? How else will you know about the good stuff Ottawa has to offer?

Stay tuned, my peeps. It's going to be a good year.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home