Monday, May 19, 2008

The temple turns 20

Despite my best intentions to write sooner, a long weekend spent at a windswept cottage on the shore of Lake Huron has otherwise distracted me until now. Well, that and the purchase of some much-needed and very svelte rubber boots.

Alas, in Ottawa, this long weekend marked the 20th anniversary of the opening of the National Gallery of Canada in its current location on Sussex Drive. The gallery has been around for a long time, but as you can read here, many felt it wasn't until the building of the gallery that our dear nation finally had a place to celebrate our accomplishments in visual arts and the men and women behind said accoplishments.

My own personal jury is still out on how I feel about the building from an architectural point of view, but I would say it has certainly become an iconic part of the cityscape. Plus, I love Maman, who - as one thoughful source I spoke to pointed out - is a perfect symbol for the National Gallery, for what is it if not the mothership of art in Canada.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home